Friday 27 June 2008

Am I the kiss of death for Serbian tennis??

Maybe it would be better for Serbia if I just stopped supporting their tennis players.

Why?

Both Ana Ivanovic and Novak Djokovic have already made their exits from the Wimbledon Championships, being held just a few miles away from where I live. Unsurprisingly, I was supporting Ana for the women's title, and Novak for the men's. They both have excellent records; Novak won the Australian Open earlier this year, and went into the championships ranked #3 in the world; Ana won Roland Garros this year and went in ranked #1 in the world. Yet they went out in the second and third rounds respectively.



Out of 7 Serbian players to enter the singles draw, only 2 remain - Janko Tipsarevic and Jelena Jankovic, both of whom are yet to play their third round matches. I'm seriously considering not watching the matches tomorrow in case I'm some kind of curse for Serbian tennis. I still am not yet ready to accept the fact that Novak is out of the championships, and I'm deeply bitter towards Marat Safin, who beat him in straight sets (6-4, 7-6, 6-2). Everytime I see Safin on TV, I end up shouting "Idi do djavola" or something even less restrained at him in Serbian. Mrzim te, Marat.

Anyway, when it comes to the US Open later this year, I hope that the thousands of miles of distance between myself and the tournament will break my support curse. On that note, I'll leave you with another picture of Novak, for good measure.

No comments: